Tuesday 6 November 2012

Quinoa Anyone?

With all the hype about Quinoa, I assumed everyone know about it. So, I was surprised when one of my friends told me she didn't know what it is.  Even though I heard about a long time ago, I started cooking it only recently. It was a hit. Actually that is not true. 75% of the family loves it. N will eat it grudgingly, but she doesn't really love it.

Quinoa with mixed vegetables.

This is how I usually make it. It is pretty quick and we usually eat with fish ( Salmon). It is one of M's favourite dinners and he usually takes the leftover for school lunch the next day.

1 packet of Quinoa - I usually buy PC organic brand. You can use any brand.
1 cup of chopped vegetables - I use whatever I have at home. I have used carrots, broccoli,green onion, leaks, green peppers, swiss chard, and kale.
1 Tbsp of chopped onions ( optional ) I don't normally use it because N doesn't like it. I use green onions as part of other chopped vegetables instead
1/4 tsp - turmeric  -  (optional ) Gives quinoa beautiful colour.
1/4 tsp - cumin seeds (optional) - I use it because I am south Asian!
 1 Tbsp - oil
salt to taste
Cook quinoa according to package directions.  Heat oil. Add the cumin seeds and wait for them to pop. Add turmeric and mix with wooden spoon. Add the vegetables and let it cook for a few mins until the vegetables are soft. Add the cooked quinoa and salt. Turn off the heat. Mix everything together. You are done!

I also make Cous cous similar way. 
Quinoa and Tofu
Cous Cous , Salmon, Tofu and Kale chips
























Yesterday I also tried making pittu with Quinoa. . I'll post the recipe for Quinoa Pittu tomorrow.


No comments: