Wednesday 18 February 2009

Recipe for wattalapam

Update : Here is an easier recipe for  wattalapam.

When I was invited to a party at my friend J's house last December, I told J that I would bring dessert. The morning of the party, I called my sister little sister to get her recipe for wattalapam.
When little sister found out that I had neither jaggrey nor fresh coconut milk she was horrified. In my defense, I was planning to use brown sugar and coconut milk from a can. Little sister told me if I am making the recipe for non-Sri Lankans who have never had wattalapamI should make it the proper way, NO SHORT CUTS!. So, I borrowed a coconut from her and jaggrey from my other sister, big sister and made the wattalapam. This is the advantage when you and your sisters live on the same street. You can just pop-by to borrow stuff!

It was a big hit at J's house. I typed up the recipe for J.

So, here is the recipe to make proper wattalapam

wattalapam

4 eggs
250g Jaggery 
2 cups thick coconut milk (from 1 fresh coconut, or if you don't know how to make the milk from fresh coconut, you can use the milk from a can, just don't tell my sister )
½ teaspoon cardamom
Pinch of clove
Pinch of cinnamon
Vanilla (optional)
Cachew nuts optional



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Break the Jaggery into small pieces. I use a knife and scrape the Jaggery.
3. Put the Jaggery in a small pan pour ¼ cup of milk over it and heat on low to melt the Jaggery.
4. After the Jaggery is melted cool it down for few mins ( I skip this step when I don’t have time)
5. Beat the eggs.
6. Add the Jaggery mixture to the eggs mixture slowly and continue to beat. Be careful not to cook the eggs!
7. Add the milk, spices and vanilla and beat.
8. Pour the mix into a shallow baking dishes or several small (single serving) baking dishes
9. You can add some cashew nuts if you like.
10. Put the baking dish in a warm bath and bake and bake for 50 mins to one hour. Do the tooth pick test to make sure the wattalapam is cooked.
11. You can decorate it with roasted cashews or almonds. I roast the cachews in a tiny bit of butter and sprinkle on top.
--

No comments: